SAMSUNG Galaxy S8 Review South Africa, Price At Game 2023, Specs – 3000mAh
The Samsung Galaxy S8 was launched in April 2017.
Samsung Galaxy S8 has a dimension of 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm and weighs 155g.
The device is made of glass and metal and has a sleek and modern design.
It has a curved front and back and is available in several colors, including Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, and Maple Gold.
The phone supports a single SIM or dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by).
When it comes to the display, Samsung S8 has a 5.8-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels and a pixel density of 570 ppi.
The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and has HDR10 compliance, which provides a great viewing experience.
Operating System (OS)
Samsung Galaxy S8 is powered by the Snapdragon 835 or Exynos 8895 chipset, depending on the region.
The Snapdragon 835 has an octa-core (4×2.35 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo) CPU and an Adreno 540 GPU, while the Exynos 8895 has an octa-core (4×2.3 GHz Mongoose M2 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53) CPU and a Mali-G71 MP20 GPU.
It runs on Android 7.0 Nougat and is upgradable to Android 9.0 Pie, which is a plus.
In terms of memory, Samsung S8 has 64GB of internal memory and supports up to 256GB of external memory through a microSD card slot.
The phone also has 4GB of RAM, which is more than enough for most users.
Samsung Galaxy S8 has a 12-megapixel dual pixel main camera with an f/1.7 aperture and optical image stabilization.
The camera has several features, including phase detection autofocus, LED flash, and geo-tagging.
It can also shoot videos at [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected].
Moreover, the phone sports an f/1.7 aperture, 8-megapixel front-facing camera with autofocus.
The front-facing camera is capable of recording [email protected] footage.
Price Of Samsung Galaxy S8 In South Africa
Samsung Galaxy S8 is currently priced at around $450 in the United States, £370 in the United Kingdom, €410 in Europe, and R7,999 in South Africa.
The price may vary depending on the region and the configuration of the device.
Galaxy S8 has a loudspeaker and supports 3.5mm jack, which is a plus for many users.
Samsung Galaxy S8 supports WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, and hotspot.
It also supports Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, and aptX.
The phone has A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, and GALILEO for positioning and supports NFC.
It also has an FM radio and a USB Type-C 3.1 port for charging and data transfer.
Samsung S8 has several sensors, including an iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, and SpO2.
In terms of the battery, Samsung Galaxy S8 has a non-removable Li-Ion 3000mAh battery that supports fast charging and wireless charging.
The battery life is not as good as some of its competitors, with the phone lasting around 10 hours of continuous use.
Colors: Samsung Galaxy S8 is available in a variety of colors, including Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, and Maple Gold.
Models: Galaxy S8 was released in two models, the standard model and the larger Samsung Galaxy S8+. The Galaxy S8+ has a larger screen, a bigger battery, and a higher price point.
SAR: The Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) measures the amount of radio frequency energy absorbed by the body when using a mobile phone. The SAR for the Samsung Galaxy S8 is 0.32 W/kg (head) and 1.27 W/kg (body).
SAR EU: The SAR limit for mobile phones is set to a maximum of 2 W/kg in Europe. The Samsung Galaxy S8 has a SAR of 0.26 W/kg (head) and 1.27 W/kg (body) in the European Union, well below the legal limit.
Comparison with similar devices in the market:
- iPhone 8: The iPhone 8 is a direct competitor to the Samsung Galaxy S8. Both devices are similar in size and have comparable features, such as water resistance and wireless charging. The iPhone 8 has a more powerful processor and a slightly better camera, while the Galaxy S8 has a larger, higher resolution display.
- Google Pixel 2: The Google Pixel 2 is another high-end smartphone that competes with the Galaxy S8. The Pixel 2 has a similar size and display quality, but it lacks some of the advanced features of the Galaxy S8, such as water resistance and expandable storage. The Pixel 2 has a slightly better camera and runs the latest version of Android.
- LG G6: The LG G6 is a slightly older phone that was released around the same time as the Samsung Galaxy S8. The G6 has a similar size and display quality, but it lacks some of the advanced features of the Galaxy S8, such as facial recognition and an iris scanner. The G6 has a slightly smaller battery and an older processor.
- The Samsung Galaxy S8 has a beautiful, high-resolution display that’s great for watching videos and playing games.
- The phone has an impressive camera that takes clear, detailed photos and can shoot 4K video.
- The Galaxy S8 has a sleek, modern design that looks and feels great in the hand.
- The phone is water resistant and can survive being submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
- The Galaxy S8 has a powerful processor and plenty of memory, making it fast and responsive.
- The phone has an iris scanner and facial recognition for secure, convenient unlocking.
- The Galaxy S8 has expandable storage, so you can easily add more space for photos, videos, and apps.
- The fingerprint scanner is awkwardly placed on the back of the phone, making it hard to reach.
- The battery life could be better, especially with heavy use.
- The Bixby virtual assistant is not as useful as other virtual assistants like Siri and Google Assistant.
- The phone is quite expensive compared to other high-end smartphones.
- The glass back of the phone is prone to smudges and fingerprints, and is more fragile than a metal or plastic back.
- The phone’s curved screen can make it harder to find a protective case that fits well.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is a great smartphone that offers an excellent display, impressive camera, and plenty of power and memory. It’s water-resistant, secure, and has expandable storage.
However, the phone’s fingerprint scanner is poorly placed, and the battery life could be better.
The Bixby virtual assistant also leaves something to be desired, especially compared to other virtual assistants like Google Assistant.
In terms of price, the Samsung Galaxy S8 is on the higher end of the spectrum, but it’s worth the cost for those who want a premium device with high-end features.
As 2023, the Samsung Galaxy S8 is priced around $350 for the 64GB version, and prices may vary depending on the location and configuration.
Overall, the Samsung Galaxy S8 is an excellent phone that offers a lot of value for its price.
Its strengths lie in its impressive display, camera, and processing power, as well as its expandable storage and water resistance.
However, its fingerprint scanner placement and battery life could be improved, and its virtual assistant, Bixby, could use some work.
ALSO READ: More Phone Reviews